Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baby Wells


I just thought of something.... I am busy planning a menu for Thursday night's meal. I am bringing this meal to a family at Ecclesia that just had a little one. I was thinking to myself.....6 people eating!!! 2 adults and 4 kids (not including the newest member of the family of course!!) If that doesn't count as "feeding the masses," I don't know what does!! I am bringing 2 families in the church dinner this week! I can't wait to meet the new arrivals to the Ecclesia family!

So then I was remembering that I still had to send Jamie Well's the recipe for the soup that I made for them when Canyon was born....then it dawned on me that I was going to have to start adding these "new baby" dinners to the Ecclesia "Feeding The Masses" blog site!! So here it is the first of the bunch! Canyon Jeremiah Wells 7lb-9oz 20 1/2" Born at home at 11:03pm on December 5th 2009.

Welcome little one! The Wells family received this meal under special the special consideration that THEY WERE DEATHLY ILL with the flu the day that I signed up to bring them dinner!! The first thing that came to my mind was that they needed some homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade egg noodles.

HOME MADE CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

4 carrots
1 small onion
4 celery stalks
2 teaspoons parsley flakes
3/4 teaspoons Marjoram flakes
1/2 teaspoon Basil flakes
1/4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/4 pepper
2 bay leaves
2 quarts chicken broth
kosher salt

1 rotisserie chicken



Noodles
1 egg
1/2 salt
2/3 cup flour

Mix all the noodle ingredients into a ball....set aside for 15 minutes. Put first 11 ingredients into a large pot or dutch oven. Bring to a boil, then simmer until carrots are not quite perfectly tender. Add ALL the meat from the chicken, you can manage (not eating right off the bone) into the pot. Roll dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll as thin as you can manage, becasue they will thicken up once cooked. Using a pizza cutter slice into strips about 1/2 inch thick. Bring soup back to a boil and add the noodles. The flour on the noodles will thicken up the broth a little....mmmmm I love a rich, thick broth! If you like it a little more "soupy" feel free to add more broth! Let the noodles cook until they are nice and soft! The carrots should be perfect by now too! Enjoy, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I've JUST NOW found your blog... LOVE IT!! I'll be using this for recipe ideas! Ok... for my chicken noodle soup, I took the advice of someone and simmered one onion (quartered), 2 celery stalks, a bay leaf, rotisserie chicken carcass, 4-5 halved garlic cloves, leek (chopped in rounds), parsley sprigs and thyme sprigs for an hour in the chicken broth, discarded all the solids and then added back into the homemade 'broth' everything that you mentioned -- it was INCREDIBLE and received rave reviews from everyone I've made it for! I LOVE YOU HOLLY!

    ReplyDelete