Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sunday Lunch February 21st

Baja Chipotle Fish Tacos, Spicy Pineapple, Apricot & Jicama Salsa & Cornmeal Guava Thumbprint Cookies.

This week was full of beautiful things....trips home (twice) home to the NW and then back home to Houston! Then, the day I returned to Texas, Karen and Beck came to visit!! Wow. I am so blessed. When thinking about Sunday lunch, I knew I needed something simple. These fish Tacos are just that. So easy, because you use a store bought (inexpensive) marinade...which you also use to make the sauce! Here is the recipe....


Baja Chipotle Fish Tacos

1 1/4 cups Lawry's® Baja Chipotle Marinade With Lime Juice
1 1/2 pounds cod or other firm white fish fillets
1/2 cup sour cream (plus some milk to make it a little less thick...you want it to be a slightly saucier texture. The recipe originally calls for mayo, but I don't like using it unless I really have to.....I think thinning with milk is a better tasting option.)
12 soft taco size corn tortillas, warmed
2 cups shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
2 limes

In large baking dish or resealable plastic bag, pour 3/4 cup marinade over fish; turn to coat. Cover, or close bag, and marinate in refrigerator about 30 minutes. Remove fish from Marinade; discarding Marinade. Grill or broil fish, turning once and brushing with 1/4 cup Marinade, until fish flakes with a fork. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining 2 to 4 tablespoons Marinade. To serve, arrange fish in tortillas, using two tortillas for each taco, top with shredded cabbage and cilantro. Drizzle with sauce and lime!


Spicy Pineapple, Apricot & Jicama Salsa




I am sorry to say that I haven't perfected this recipe....therefor I am only going to show you a photo. I got lovely reviews, but I know there is something missing. I will let you know as soon as I figure it out!!

Cornmeal Guava (or any type of jam you would like) Thumbprint Cookies

I LOVED THESE!! One of my new favorite cookies.

1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
Guava jelly or apricot-pineapple preserves OR any type of jelly you would like!

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all purpose flour, cornmeal, ground cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat unsalted butter and brown sugar in large bowl until fluffy. Mix in egg yolk and vanilla extract. Mix in dry ingredients.
Form dough into 1-inch balls. Arrange on ungreased baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Make depression in center of each using thumb or handle of wooden spoon. Fill depressions with jelly. Continue baking until bottoms of cookies are brown, about 10 minutes. Cool on rack. (Can be prepared 1 week ahead. Refrigerate in airtight container.)

Lovely!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Holly, the fish tacos sound great. I'm definitely going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete